• We currently use swipe cards as the middle and high school lunch payment method, and although this system does have is benefits; it also has its limitations. Students often forget and/or lose these cards. This can sometimes result in long queues and bottlenecks.
• To improve efficiency and speed at the tills we are planning to introduce a biometric thumb print recognition for all students in Grade 5 and above.
➢ This means that we will register the students by taking a simple scan of their thumbprint; this will allow them to pass through the pay points quickly, securely and without having to remember cash or a swipe card.
➢ This lunch payment technology is already used successfully in schools across the UK.
➢ We will retain our existing food court tills, the students will simply need to have their thumbs quickly ‘scanned’ to providepayment.
How is this being introduced?
• We have just completed a successful three – week trail of the system with our dormitory students. The next step will be to register the remaining students. This will be performed by Catering staff at a designated registration help desk in the cafetorium during the week commencing April 27th 2009.
• Lower School students will not be included in this scheme at this juncture.
• All NEW 2009/10 Middle & High School students will be registered on the system during the Orientation day in August.
• A very small percentage of students will have thumbs that are not possible to scan or they may prefer not to have their thumb’s digital signature recorded. These students can be issued swipe cards which also work on the tills as an alternative to the biometric system.
• ALL EXISTING card users are requested to PLEASE RETAIN YOUR LUNCH CARDS as a back up or alternative.
• Please read on to view some of the most frequently asked questions regarding thumb print recognition.
Should you have any further questions or require more information please contact …..Head of Catering using the following email address: